Circus-y disco e-luminated book

Quite a long title for a tiny weeny book.

This one was rather wonderful to make, and was programmed using a simple Arduino blinky pattern and the teeny-weeny-ATtiny.
(so teeeeeeny)

Here is the process:
All the layers

putting the pages together

The lighting

The control -including wonderful paper battery holder curtsy of Natalie Freed and Jie Qi

Getting ready for the show

Programmed chip to fit in the socket. So tiny *soooooo tiny* ATtiny

Yay. Let’s have a circus horse-y papery party disco.

San Francisco Center for the Book

We held our second e-luminated book workshop at the SFCB this weekend. It was a really lovely and creative group -they experimented with light and switches and made some really beautiful tunnel books in a very short time.

We’ll be teaching the same class again in the new year, and will also be teaching a more advanced class -E-luminated Books II: Switch, Sense, Choreograph- which focuses on control (using ATtiny microcontrollers), animation, and interactivity.

Here are a few of the wonderful books made:

Nif embedded her screen prints and made curved circuitry with finely cut copper tape.

Kate had the most AMAZING Japanese hole puncher. And created atmospheric scenes, with light, shadow, and recycled papers

Felicia cut beautifully intricate layers to make very delicate books.

Jessi was experimenting with all kinds of materials, including prismatic plastics and moving parts -it was very inspiring!

And Liza created this wonderful animated meteor shower.

Making lights blink with Pa

This weekend my dad came to visit.*

Apart from doing very nice things, like a cycle ride across a big red bridge, we had fun playing with electronics. It went something a bit like:

Me: Hey Dad, not seen you in a while, look at some of the stuff I’ve got (points at arduino, flora, and a few sensors).
Pa: Oh very nice, let me just go to my moderate sized carry on suitcase and find a HUGE bag full of color sensors, arduino shields, neopixels, oscilloscopes (etc.).
Me: Oh blooming heck, how did you fit all of that in your case, and omg lets play!
Pa: Well, you never know when you will need to tinker whilst you are traveling.

Anyway. Over the course of the weekend we did some tinkering and it was a lot of fun to do this with my dad. My questions were greeted with a sense of joy, pride, enthusiasm, and curiosity. It’s been a long time since we made anything together.

We ended up testing out the LOL board.
LOL (lots of LEDs) board making some funky helix motions.

And then we were curious about how it worked, so we made our own (very basic) multiplex and chraliplex versions. I’ll post some circuit illustrations about how these work soon -but it is a really great way to control lots of LEDs with few connections (multiplexing 9 LEDs = 6 wires, Charliplexing 6 LEds = 3 wires)



And dad taught me how. And all the way it was a wonderful exchange, and fun, and I learned so much through us both learning. Thanks for sharing dad.

*a weekend added on to a week conference in Portland -my family are not so extravagant that they make 5000+ mile weekend trips yeah!


I’ve been playing around with making speakers. Here are a few.

I started teaching at Lick Wilmerding High School a month ago. On one of the courses we are making an amp, and to learn how speakers work we made paper speakers. Students made some really great ones and it was a lot of fun!

*inspired by the wonderful Hannah Perner-Wilson

Gotta hand it to you

I am applying for some bits and bobs for next year (my current position ends in December -more about that soon). Anyway, I found this.

A print I made in MARCH 2013. I made it when I got back from an India trip as a thank you card for the people I stayed with.

My self-critic at that time had decided it wasn’t a very good print and buried it away in a draw somewhere. I have no idea where the original is now, but here is a digital copy. And here is an ode to the hand, and the wonderful things it makes.